April 24, 2006

Best Friends...

When I was in my primary school, the idea of my best friend was someone with whom I can play with, whom I could go for my dance class with.

When I went to my High School, the idea of a best friend was someone who was good at studying, sports, extra-curricular activities, someone who shared the same favorite movie star :).


When I went to college, the idea of a Best friend was someone with whom I could go to movies, talk about crushes, do all girly things.

I could say life was pretty much simple until this time.
When I joined my engineering, the idea of a best friend was changed to someone with whom I felt comfortable in disscussing my 'konfusions' of what-next, talk about the girl secrets, and ofcourse have FUN amidst all the Internals, Assignments, Combined studies etc.


By the time I joined work, the idea of a best friend was changed to someone with whom my 'wavelength' matched, someone with whom I could sit and chat for hours, someone with whom I could share my dreams, someone with whom even silence was comfortable, someone who shared the common 'I-hate-this-person' list :D, someone with whom I could do night outs, someone with whom I could just be just Myself.


Now I have some good friends whom I've never met in my life at all but we discuss everything under the sun.

The idea of a best friend kept on changing from time to time...
But the strange part is, some friends remained as my best friends who could fit in all the changing definitions.

I still have some of my school friends and college friends who are very much in touch with me on a day-to-day basis. The definition of friendship has grown with our age and these people fit in all the above categories :).

But something which bothers me always is that, as time passed, some of my friends who were in my best friend list at a certain point of time, is now just in a 'hi-how are you' relationship. I always wonder is it something to do with 'ME' that i'm not in touch with them? Is it a failure on my part that I couldnt 'maintain' a relationship?

But when I get a chance to talk to 'those' friends, I cant talk more than half an hour and even that will be so formal. We just run out of topics. I guess our priorities have changed in life and probably thats the reason we dont find much of things in common to talk about. Though the basic care and concern is there for each other, it cant go back to the way it was... the ease at which we used to talk to hours before has just vanished... hmph! some friendships are meant to be like that I guess...though it sounds odd, I feel some friends are seasonal, and no point brooding about it.... hmph!!! ways of life I tell ya...

28 comments:

Himavan said...

Hey Mate :)

Very well said about friends. I think many of us do have similar views about it.

**, I feel some friends are seasonal, and no point brooding about it...

It is very much true. Perspectives change with time and so do people (friends)

Anonymous said...

Good post....even I feel sometimes totally numb with a "once" best friend...priorities, life many things change...
Last 2 paras strike a chord with my thoughts..Can comment a lot, but am out of steam now...
good post once again..

Khushi said...

contended, rk,
good to know you agree :)

Khushi said...

thanks Raj

Prashanth CM said...

Hi,
It was enjoying to read a well written post on Friendship. One should always remeber to make friendship irrespective of his busy life. Yes I miss my child hood friends and all those people with whom i shared wonderful moments and it brings smiles when ever i remeber those wonderful moments we spent together. Thanks for reigniting those feelings.

-prashanth

Ekta said...

Well,
guess ur lucky to have good friends at each phase
But thats what a best friend is...someone who fits into the same shoes as u and grows with u in every phase of ur life!
But ur right..sometimes some people and relationship are meant to be special only in specific phases of ur life--so we just take them in our stride and move on!

Chitra said...

Wow...perfect Khushi...I could not have put it much betteru :)! Tune mere mooh ki baat cheen li ...

Khushi said...

thanks Prashanth, ekta, chitra :)

Avi said...

hiii ... i guess the things u've written turns out to be pretty much the same for each one of us ... at least it matches so much with me .. the definition of friends might change, but a friend is a friend is a friend ... caring,loving,understanding ... whatsoever form might it take or whatever it might mean ..

Anonymous said...

I agree with Avi. You must be glad that you are in touch with your friends at least on 'hi-how are you' basis. I feel like all my so called best friends deserted me when I needed them the most and yeah this really makes me think whether there is something really wrong with me.

Ekta said...

Hey khushi,
Loved your post--especially coz I am a person for whom my two best friends are nearly my family.
I have been lucky to have met them and still have them as best friends for the past 8-10 yrs..and today cant imagine a life without them

Prashanth CM said...

Hi Kushi,
How is life?, just kept on thinking about your post and came up with some ...

How to rekindle your old friendship's... Tada..

Follwing are some of my idea's which 'might' work in case you meet your old buddies and did not felt the same connection level once you shared. Its open for more view/reviews...

-Talk/Remeber about the best moments spent together.
-Talk about Funniest or most embaressing moment shared together.
-Forget all formalities come direct to level of comfort once you shared and enjoyed (In guys case its direct to 'Salee..tere to Level :)'.
-Talk about those 'One Liners' which you guys, have created/shared together and only you and your old friends can relate to (in mycase its 'Owner Envy, Neighbour's Pride' which we created when we miss understood the actual Jesus Christ's Love Your Neighbour's (but dont get caught!) sessions. :)

-Do lots of gossiping about your old buddies (!!!! ahem.)
- Take him to the nearest bar (just kidding!!:)
-Enquire about the deepest pain/sorow you guys went thru when you were together and if possible try to laugh on that (if and only iff)

-Go to the same eating joints which you did during your old days may be do the same 'by-two' or 'full-to' :) (It alwasy works for me :)

-Suddenly make a movie or just chillouts just like you did during your old days.

-Talk about the Level's you guys have reached after you sperated from each other also make the other person feel how much you did missed him/her during your journey. (Genuinely if its worth or else laughter is the best medicine :)...just forgot i meant Emotion Level not ICICI A/c level :)

-Introduce your new friends/partners which came after 'that void' and how happy and proud you are to introduce him/her to them.

well these are just my idea's seen from a Guy's angle, I would appreciate if any 'Gal' ideas are also posted.
-have a good day

Khushi said...

thanks avi
***

//I feel like all my so called best friends deserted me when I needed them the most and yeah this really makes me think whether there is something really wrong with me.

hmmm happens !!!

***
Ya Ekta, even I have few friends whom I've grown up with and it feels really great to have chatted from things starting with laggori to marriage :D

***

Prashanth,
Its too good to be true alwa... all these things ya, they come naturally with the people whom you could connect. you dont have to make 'effort' per se... but then there are some relationships which go beyond this... thats why i said the priorities would have changed in life. and we may not be able to relate to certain people after a certain phase...

Raj said...

Friends are forever,You might lose touch or you might part ways but you will always refer to them as a friend :) Nice post!

Prashanth CM said...

Kanditha, Yes priorities changes...

As somebody said 'Only Change is Constant'.

Anand said...

Hey khushi,
Have been lucky enugh to be blessed by two great friends who have been with me for almost 10 yrs now!...
And its difficult to even imagine a life without them now!

Khushi said...

Raj,
hmm Ya:)

***
Prashanth
howdu howdu :D

***
anand
is it just a coincidence both hubby n wife gave similar answer :D

Anonymous said...

In so few words you explained your transition... superb...

Nice post indeed.. :)

Laks said...

hey..i think change is probably one of the few constant things in one's life... all of us change in a lotta ways... even i've wondered what if he/she was still a good friend.. but things never work this way.. friendship is just sometin that "happens"..it can't b forced....

HaRi pRaSaD said...

True. Friendships change over a period of time. True. Very True. I am no longer as close to her as I used to be.Does she feel the same way I feel when I think about the days we spent together? Does she miss me? Does she think of me as often as I think of her? Does she have some of my sms's saved in her inbox as I have her's in mine? Does she wish to be back again the same way she used to be with me?
I really don't know.

Khushi said...

thanks Virus :)

***
Yes Lakshana, thats true!

***
Enigma
hmmm??? just a friend???

GuNs said...

Very nice to read that post. I came across your blog from Prashanth's blog whose blog I came across from Shradha's blog. [:-D] I generally read comments on peoples blogs and navigate to read their blogs etc. Maybe thats the way we can make friends in real life...who knows !

You do write pretty well. BTW, the many phases that you mention in your life make me wonder how old are you !!

LOL, do read (and comment on) my blog if and when you get the time to do so.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

GuNs said...

Hey...
That thing in your status bar (the scrolling poem) is awfully cool. Dont mind, but I copied the code to my blog too. THANKS !!

That poem is really nice as well. You write poems as well?

-PeAce
--WiTh
---GuNs

HaRi pRaSaD said...

:) I really don't know! :(

Khushi said...

hi guns,
thanks for visiting, will surely do that...
oh ya, I'm definetely older than you :D

thnaks :), nope its not my original :)

***
Enigma
oh oh!!!

Anil P said...

I suppose we can't grow together if we're also growing apart.

Khushi said...

hmm... mebbe anil :-|

Unknown said...

Kushi,
One of the best blogs, I have read, of late. Keep the show going on...
You wanna read this one - http://thiligola.blogspot.com
Jus lemme know your opinion...

~harsha