March 26, 2007

when the music changes, so does the dance...

My dad was(is) a great fan of Vijayanti mala bali and Hema malini's dance and he had thought one day even his daughter would become a great dancer. So, even before I could think whether it interests me or not, I started my 'thaiya thai'(that is the first step in Bharatanatyam) when I was 6. But absolutely no complains, I thoroughly enjoyed it :). Be it a Farewell party for a teacher or the Annual day at school, I used to be on stage all the time :).

Even from our dance class, we used to give lots of performances, but more than that, we were all enjoying the practice sessions a lot. We had a famous ballet called 'Daiveche' (which was on atma linga of GOKARNA) which we had peformed 13 and a half times ;). I shall blog about this 'half ballet' again as its a long and interesting story in itself!. I cleared a couple of dance certifications and got scholarship for 3 years from Karnataka State :).

When I started my PU, there was lot of pressure as that was supposed to be the turning point in ones life as told by the whole world and I had to quit dance! May be I could have managed it together, but frankly speaking, I never felt anything then, May be I'd taken it for granted :-. After sometime, I started realizing that may be I should continue it again, but thanks to the college I studied, I had to go to tuitions whole day to get atleast a 35. Tell me something, how is studying Transducers and Instrumentation (a subject in 5sem) helping me in my life today? ah... all credits to the VTU syllabus! And after BE, I was more concentrating on a job, career et al...


Now, with a new job, I thought I shall start dance too, but this time I wanted to try something new, so I thought of joining ODISSI :D. I started my 'tha ithi thaka dhimi tha'(the first step I learnt in Odissi) now when I'm 26. Gosh! I'm sure my first step at 6, wasnt this difficult at all. An Unfit body, a bad stamina, abundant fat all over, but still there is something which is making me look forward to every weekend for my classes. I dont think I can be (rather I dont even plan to be) a great dancer as my dad had thought, for that matter, I dont even know how long I can continue it because of the nature of my work, but I guess I'll give my best to learn and I shall enjoy every bit of it until i'm doing it :-D.

On a lighter note, there goes a chinese proverb, 'We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance ;)' he he

23 comments:

GuNs said...

LOL @ the Chinese proverb !
Keep it up though. Something to keep your mind occupied besides WORK !

-PeAcE

Khushi said...

thanks guns!

luvwannabefree25 said...

love the proverb... just passing through..

JD ;)

Khushi said...

thanks :)

The Avenger !!! said...

and we will still remain fools if we dont try to do what we always wanted to do :)

good luck, one month of regular class and you will hum a different tune i am sure :)

Ekta said...

aaaah!
I soo envy u!...i have been wanting to learn guitar for soo long...and still havent got down to it...hopefully sometime soon!

Himavan said...

Nice!! All the Best..:)

Unknown said...

What happened to your Gym class???
"Govindaa...Govindaa!!!" is it?
Anyways all the very Best for your class. Wish you perform Odissi during
your Annual Day celebration @ your company... :-)

~Harsha

Khushi said...

thanks avenger, I hope so too :)

***

oh yeah, start it soon ekta, I bet you'll enjoy it :)

***

thanks contended

***

Hey My gym is still ON harsha :D whaddaya think huh ;)
ah.. How I wish ;)

Harmony said...

Dance is part of life..

Shimogait said...

All the best practice well......
So I can expect a performance next time I meet u ;) :p

Anonymous said...

well said...fool or no fool, we should all dnce..

and btw ur post encourages me to finally take a hobby class like i've planning since a long time!

Khushi said...

true pankaj

***
thanks bhatta, I hope so too :D

***
oh you should start Chandni, Its very rejuvenating :)

Anonymous said...

The Chinese surely knew how to keep you self motivated dint they? Ironic?
*grin*

Khushi said...

anjaan,
*sheepish smile :-)*

Life said...

hello kushi :) always be kush yaar ;)
i am gr8 fan of dancers .I am not good dancer but i like them watching..and oneday would love to c u on stage

Take Care
Vikas{V}

Rose said...

WOW!!!!

I began learning classical dance at the age of 4.. Iv learned Bharatnatyam and Mohiniattam.. But its been years since I v danced to any of these traditional artforms.. Iv been wanting to learn a new dance from.. Mayb Kathak or Odissi..

Wher r u located? If i may ask?

..Me

Khushi said...

thanks vikas ,

***

Hi Rose, nice to know about you. I live in Bangalore :)

Shekhar said...

My first time on this blog and this was the first post that I went through. Completely loved your attitude towards dancing and yes, fantastic proverb. :D I think I should really make use of my next 1 month break and learn the salsa. (Psst., don't let me friends know, they'll scamper away in fear. :P)

Shruti said...

hey great...i aldo love to dance a lot, but the thing is that i dont know how to dance...i learnt kathak for a yr when i was in hostel but then , i changed my shcool and it left from that time only..
anyways..good luck to you..
take care...

Amandeep Singh said...

Hey all the best and hope this new beggining comes out reall well...
And nice provrb man:)

--Sunrise-- said...

:) I do Bharatnatyam... and I absoutely love it. :)

Laks said...

hey.. u've already mastered a particular dance.. u shud try giving performances in bharatnatyam too....
ps- good chinese proverb!